How to set realistic goals?
Becoming successful in life is easy once you figure out how you want to do what you want to do. But the only problem is finding out what your goals are. Because, once we know what we want in life, we can focus on getting it by working hard and being dedicated to it. But, how to set our goals? How to figure out what we are good at and whether or not we will be good at what we choose?
It’s a simple process and the following points will help you in setting realistic goal for yourself:
- Make a list: The first step in keeping realistic goals is to write them down. You should write whatever it is that you want to achieve in life. Writing your goals is a very important task as it helps you in working harder for it. It acts like a reminder for you. Try keeping it in front of you and don’t ever lose the sight of it. This will sub-consciously help you too.
- One goal at a time: Don’t go overboard. Decide what you want for yourself but don’t take up more than one goal at a time. This can be distracting and in the process of multi-tasking and focusing on too many things at once, you might end up focusing on nothing. Always set your mind to goal on one thing at once, achieve it and then move on to the next one.
- Short term goals first: Yes, it is good to have future plans. But making short term plans are way better as they help you gain confidence once you achieve them. And once short term goals are achieved, you can then move on to longer term goals.
- Always be specific in what you want: No matter what goal you decide for yourself, always be specific. Mention clearly to yourself what you want in life and stay on that. Don’t be vague about your goals. Always be clear on what you want to achieve and only then, success will come your way.
- Keep a time limit: Whenever you set a goal, set a time limit with it. This will help you in measuring your progress and you won’t be wasting too much time unnecessarily. Setting a time frame will help you in getting an idea of how much time it takes for you to achieve it. This will keep you focused and challenged all the while.
Setting realistic goals is a tough job as you have to keep in minds your skills and dedications. As per that, you can work your way on it. Once you set the right goals for yourself, success will just be a few steps away from you. So always make sure that you are setting realistic goals for yourself in a way that it can be fulfilled by you. The goals you set for yourself should be such that it pushes you to work harder but at the same time relaxes you too.