THE AGONY OF THE ACNE SCARS
In the man-made annotation of beauty, there is hardly any room for scars. Scars wreck beauty. They are undesirable and uninviting. Most people fight a losing battle against these small blots on the skin, others just cave in and accept them for what they are. While some others might, even tend to lose their confidence, charm, positivity etc, to the little imperfections on their skin which they call scars.
Acne Scars are nothing but the residue of acne, while acne may vanish sooner or later; it leaves behind its remnants in the form of these scars. The intensity of scarring depends upon the severity of acne that you suffer from. Move severe form of acne (the one with painful cysts and lumps) leaves the more severe and often permanent marks.
With the advent of technology and the increased consciousness for beauty, also increased the ways to treat acne scars. If your acne scars are putting you through hell, you can get rid of them in no time.
But before going down that road, you might want to educate yourself about certain dos and don’ts:
- You should never pick, pop or squeeze a pimple. It may lead to more breakouts and sometimes can cause permanent scarring.
- Do not touch your face too often, unless your hands are absolutely clean. The bacteria on your hands might act as a catalyst to aggravating your miseries. It may cause increased breakouts and hence, increased chances of scars.
- Apply oil free cosmetics
- Quit smoking.
To treat your scars you can try the following remedies:
- Laser resurfacing– it is a procedure where a laser beam destroys the outer layer of skin. As a result, new layer of skin forms with less or no acne scars at all. Remember that it is a little complex procedure and requires a little patience. Usually it takes 3-10 days for the skin to heal completely.
- Dermabrasion– this is done for more severe scars. The process involves removal of the top layer of the skin with a rapidly rotating wire brush. As a result, surface acne scars gets completely removed and deeper acne scars may appear less noticeable.
- Tissue fillers– it involves injecting collagen or fat under the skin and into the acne scars, which can fill out or stretch the skin, making acne scars less visible. It only provides temporary aid, so you’d need periodic injections.
- Punch excision– it is a minor surgery that removes deeply indented acne scars. The process involves cutting individual acne scars and stitching a skin graft and repairs the hole left at the scar site.
- Skin tightening– dermatologists use a technology called radiofrequency to tighten the skin. As the skin tightens, depressed acne scars become less noticeable.
- Scar creams and gels– these can be bought easily and can be used at home without a doctor’s supervision. These products reduce the discomfort and shrink, flatten and fade the acne scars.
Conversely, if you do not want to undergo these intricate treatments you can try some useful home remedies for convincing results:
- Baking soda– the magic ingredient baking soda evinces efficacious results for acne scars short of, acne, pimples, blackheads etc. make a thick paste of baking soda with warm water and massage on the acne scars. Leave the mixture for a couple of minutes, the soda cleanses the pores and reduces further blemishes. Later wash your face with warm water.
- Cucumber– cut off a few slices of cucumber and lay over your scarred skin for 30 minutes and rinse your face with cold water. Repeat daily for effective results.
- Potato juice- potato is great for your skin healing. Repeat the same procedure as done with cucumber and wash your face with warm water.
- Aloe Vera– aloe Vera is a natural moisturizer which is also great for healing acne scars. Pick one aloe leaf and peel away the outer flesh to get access to the gel and massage it gently over your acne scars. Wash after 30 minutes. Always remember to pick fresh and organic aloe Vera for best results.
- Coconut oil– coconut is popular for its skin healing properties. It helps in fading away the acne scars. Gently massage the virgin coconut oil with your fingertips on the affected area and wash after 30 minutes.
Remember not to let acne scars affect the trajectory of your life. They are only as big a deal as you make it to be. Try out the aforesaid remedies and take a new shot at life.